19 December 2018

Quick and Easy

The Guest Room

It was really easy to forget about the bedrooms through the hallway. We weren't renovating them, we were keeping the floors the same and the walls were just white. They were 3 simple rooms and not the highest on my priority list, considering the magnitude of the main area and all of the work that that needed! But after looking at it this way for so long, and basically using it as a huge walk in closet, I wanted to get organized, and more importantly, I was in the mood to make a mural. :)

This is how the guest bedroom looked when we moved in.

First I took the old curtain rod down and had a wooden curtain rod made. 

Then the mural began! I wanted to do something very bohemian, light, and resembling a layered watercolor.

I added the circles

Some yellow

And some burnt orange and purple! (night-time painting lends for bad progress photos)

But by morning it looked pretty good!!

The next night I added some white geometric print and LOVE how it turned out!

These shots don't do it justice!

But again by morning- pretty good! I got the boho platform bed, and not much else for furniture. It's a pretty small room.

But I did want to make hanging shelves!! 

I added a ton of plants, a signature NAFASI towel ladder, some layered rugs, and a floor lamp! Check out how it turned out!! 

I really love it!! It has such a different feel from the rest of the house. It has a ton of natural light, and the colors are so calming. Sometimes Patrick and I go in there to just watch a movie and be in a new space. 

Projects through NAFASI can be as simple as new paint, furniture, and accessories in a design plan. If you're just looking to refresh your room without a whole construction project, this is definitely the more affordable option.  So if you're local let me know if you'd like a consultation or a room refresh. And if you're not- let me know if you'd like to come visit us in Kigali and stay in our beautiful guest room!!! Thanks for reading!


12 December 2018

In May, We Bought Furniture!

Look at that dog loving her fresh new floor! While Nami would have loved to keep the house empty as a doggy-gym to run around in, Patrick and I had other plans!

We didn't have much, but we had our new sectional finished!! I had started design and production on it early, knowing that that would be the most important thing functionally to live in the house for a while. Then keeping the original design in mind- yet still allowing for inevitable surprises, I moved quickly to get all the furniture and smaller details into place!

You can see the banquet benches in blue leather and the dining table are added next. Eating from the couch every night gets old. 😂

You know I love a good apothecary! They're great for storage and also so beautiful. This one will be going in our entryway once it gets finished! 

We set up our bed and added our bedding from Rubengera for now.

I also made Nami a little princess bed of her own! 

One piece of the design I really wanted to maintain was an organic feel. I wanted some natural curves and colors to offset the open plan and black walls. So I commissioned this salvaged wood wall hanging for my rope lights around our archway. 

I LOVEEEEEEE how they turned out! 

A couple more finishing touches to the outside...

Table making and ivy hanging!

And cheers with some weird lady glasses that we found here and love! Our home is becoming more special every day...

Thanks for reading along!


10 December 2018

Remember This Little House Project??

So I am realizing that as soon as we actually moved into our house after all of those renovations is when I completely abandoned all blogging on it! Sometimes you just a get so busy living that the blog gets pushed aside. However, now that our house is fully renovated and fully designed and decorated I have time to show you all the rest of the steps into getting our finished Kigali dream house! Let me go right back to where I left off in May 2018....

Throughout our first week of living in our new house, we had all of the construction materials removed,  (YES!)

The tiles dug out, and re-cut correctly,

New hardware on the cabinets, and plenty more!

Once the backsplash, lower cabinetry and hardware were all finished, I was able to move on to my uppers!!! 

Most importantly because we had to cover his monstrosity of electrical work in the kitchen, but also so I could have floating open shelving!! 

This was the idea...

They brought the cabinets over, and first they made all the cutouts on site to slide this cabinet in over the electrical boxes.


Perfect fit. It's so satisfying to watch everything slide perfectly where it's supposed to go. :)

Then after this scare at first with the open shelves, we put in some hidden brackets and got all the kitchen uppers in action! 

Here's the end result you can see from my birthday! (Not the best photo but it's all I had!)

What a relief to have that next phase figured out! Get ready for the next blog where I'll talk all about the smaller details of decorating and get you all a little closer to the final product! :)


*If you enjoy these posts please comment below! I'd love to hear your feedback!*