Yeah that third shelf fell. I tried putting a big beautiful plant with a clay pot up there. It looked beautiful! For about 1 hour. The shelves even with anchors can't hold very much weight in old cement walls. It ripped out huge holes in the walls where the brackets were and dirt and pieces of pottery were all over the floor. It was so sad!
The good news here- the maintenance team came and fixed it all immediately! Before I knew it holes were patched, the mess was cleaned, and by the next week the bracket was back up and I had painted over the new cement. The only down side is we had to move the shelves higher than their old placement to drill into a more solid part of wall, and the 2nd and 3rd shelves are now a little too tall to reach. Patrick's having an OK time with it though at least!
While we're on the topic, another fumble occurred in our bathroom. The best part about having a finished house is hosting parties, which we both love to do! So during one party, a light fixture that I got in Uganda broke and we were left with just one. (See the blog about the light here!) It turned out to be a blessing in disguise because I found Itara Lampshades made locally right in Kigali! Talia, the owner, worked with me to make my custom shades and have them delivered to me so quickly! And I love how they look on my Ugandan base sconces! (Which are actually 2 different shapes if you look closely! haha- I like the quirkiness though!)
Check out how much cooler they look now!
I also made a vegan ;) leather ottoman...
And painted our closets in the bedroom.
With a little fear of spilled paint (Which actually cleaned up ok!) And replacing the hardware...
I put the Agate handles and other hardware from the States on the kitchen cabinetry and island also!
And added some magnets to make sure everything closed properly and stayed closed.
The light fixtures were all installed and the rugs went in, and at this point... Everything was finished!
Final pictures to come next! I can't wait!